Monday, May 23, 2011

Buzz at Bonnaroo

In just a few short weeks I'll be in a Tennessee field with a few thousand other friends for the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival.  The 10th anniversary of the festival takes place in Manchester, TN from June 9th-12th.

In an attempt to discover something new while I'm there, I went through the full lineup for the festival with the following goal:  find five new artists of interest I had never heard of before based on nothing but their bio and content on the Bonnaroo website to check out while in Tennessee.  Yes, that's a fairly limiting scope, and in retrospect maybe not a wise decision, but hey, sometimes establishing boundaries defines a space for creative things to happen.

Here's what I came up with in no particular order and the videos from the Bonnaroo site I listened to.   

Gary Clark, Jr. - "Don't Owe You a Thing" 
Straight gas from the first note.



Cory Chisel and the Wandering Sons - "Born Again"
If Jim James can like it, I can like it too.


Band of Skulls - "Death by Diamonds and Pearls"
Kinda White Stripesy but I don't hold that against them. 


MAN MAN - "Mister Jung Stuffed"
The back story slightly distresses me and I can't condone their press photo, but the conviction in his voice gives me hope. 

MAN MAN - “Mister Jung Stuffed”

MAN MAN | Myspace Music Videos

Mat McHugh (of The Beautiful Girls)
Reminds me of a time when I thought no one would top Jack Johnson as a singer songwriter.  I'm not really nostalgic for those days, but this will go really well with a dozen PBR's, some Jack and the sweat of the Tennessee sun.



No comments:

Post a Comment