Friday, April 1, 2011

Song Meanings: Wye Oak - "Civilian"

I am nothing without pretend
I know my thoughts
can't live with them
I am nothing without a man
I know my faults
but I can hide them

I still keep my baby teeth
in the bedside table with my jewelry
you still sleep in the bed with me
my jewelry, and my baby teeth

I don't need another friend
when most of them
I can barely keep up with them
perfectly able to hold my own hand
but I still can't kiss my own neck

I wanted to give you everything
but I still stand in awe of superficial things
I wanted to love you like my mother's mother's mothers did
civilian
civilian


Wye Oak is a duo comprised of Jenn Wasner and Andy Stack from Baltimore, MD.  The song also lends its name to Wye Oak's third full length, released earlier last month.

For me, the meaning behind the song centers on the public and private selves we create and how they intersect, overlap, and converge; how, over time, the person we have evolved into has to grapple with an ever changing version of itself.

Without even trying, each of us create multiple personas that dictate and influence the ways we interact with certain people, places and situations.  Think in-laws, work, family functions - our rituals for behavior in these situations are each different from the other.  

Therefore, versions of ourselves exist with each person we know - everyone knows a different part of our story, but none knows the entire narrative.  The private self (i.e. you) is the only one that does.  So is the private self a recognition of pretending; acting at "being yourself"?  I'm not a student of philosophy, but I seem to remember existentialists calling this the "inauthentic being" - because we have consciousness of the self we can never fully participate in being.  We take cues from our cultural notions of what it means to be a father, or employee, or a coach, and we take those shared stereotypes and integrate them into the way we act.  Therefore, we're always in a state of "acting" as ourselves as a perception of what we see around us.

This idea of pretending opens the song - Wasner singing "I am nothing without pretend".  She divulges that she "knows her faults" but that she can hide them - her private self.

In the second verse the idea of baby teeth, representing a past version of herself and equated to something valuable, jewelry, is co-mingled with the bed where she sleeps with a new lover - the simultaneous convergence of herself past and present collides, suggesting this is the state that the protagonist "can't live with".

The relationship teeters on failure in the third verse with Wasner confessing that she doesn't "need another friend". She wanted to "give you everything", but can't.  Her inability to reconcile those things that are "superficial" stands in her way.  I take that to mean that she is unable to reveal her private self in any meaningful way.  She feels she is unable to live up to the standard of love set in her mind, like her "mother's mothers mother".

In the end, she is left a civilian - no longer part of the battle to keep things together.    

13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy this commentary. I'll definitely check out more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO true, thouroughly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you lost me at the start, but your verse by verse breakdown is killer

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't normally leave comments on blogs, but this is by far the best and most thorough breakdown of Civilian that I have read anywhere on the net since its release. Your analysis of the lyrics also seems to be the most accurate - obviously I don't know what Jenn Wasner intended when she wrote the song, but your interpretation seems to be spot on. Well done, I will visit your site often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spot on! Great analysis and take on the song. This song really touches my heart and now I fully understand why. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Amend". "I am nothing without amend". Rhymes with "I am nothing without pretend", and has that same deep yet wonkily-poetic grammar.

    And it makes "I know my faults, but I can hide them" make more sense: to cover up her faults she can amend, just as to get away from her thoughts she can pretend. The question is: what she is amending? Has she been making amends to others when her faults cause injury, or rewriting history to cover up her faults? Both, probably, but the latter seems to fit the song better.

    This still fits perfectly with your analysis - "public and private selves we create and how they intersect, overlap, and converge".

    "I am nothing without a man, I know my faults but I can hide them" doesn't fit the rest of the song... the other lyrics are owning up to the inherent contradiction inside, she already knows that external influences won't fix the problem if she herself is a moving target.

    Brilliant song, but the lyrics are too easily misheard. It's better the way she intended it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read your excellent post. This is a great job. I have enjoyed reading your post first time. I want to say thanks for this post. Thank you... lag ja gale lyrics

    ReplyDelete
  9. Guitar music theory is the music learner's preliminary platform to learn to play guitar and bring out tunes properly. Adequate knowledge of the theory enables the instrument player to make correct progress in this line. You understand the basic attribute of guitar playing if you are able to learn the theory in the true meaning of learning. You are able to take up advanced lessons to understand works of masters and simultaneously will be able to handle those techniques efficiently. Guitar cover songs

    ReplyDelete
  10. I came to know of this song through 'The Walking Dead.' It touched me by just one hearing; how it plays in the background as Shane was staring at an isolated walker in the distance which reminds us of himself. Never have heard any song along with a scene more accurate than that.

    And the way you describe it is one of the most meaningful things I've ever read. Thank you for this awesome job & making this song literally my favorite of all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The truth of the matter is, there isn't a solitary human culture on earth that has lived without music! For instance, local Africans and Americans both utilized music through droning for their customs and mending services. שירים יפים בעברית

    ReplyDelete