Wednesday, March 16, 2011

John Mayer vs. Ray Charles, Jimi Hendrix and B.B. King

I am a John Mayer fan.  I'm gonna put that out there right up front.

That, however, can be a tough thing to say at times, not because of his eyebrow raising interviews, but more because of his penchant for crafting relationship songs that get scream showers from prepubescent tween girls.

Make no mistake though, Mayer knows his way around a dirty guitar lick and can stand toe to toe with any blues soloist out there.

If you need proof that John Mayer really has a "brand new blues", check out his take on some songs from rock, R&B, and blues royalty.

Which versions do you like best and why?

Ray Charles - "I Don't Need No Doctor"


John Mayer - "I Don't Need No Doctor"





Jimi Hendrix - "Wait Till Tomorrow" 





John Mayer - "Wait Till Tomorrow" 




B.B. King - "Everyday I Have the Blues"


John Mayer - "Everyday I Have the Blues"

No comments:

Post a Comment