Thursday, December 23, 2010

Favorite Songs of 2010

5. The Black Keys - "Tighten Up" 
Album: Brothers

It doesn't really matter which song you choose off this record.  They're all great - which pretty much goes for every other Black Keys record too.  


4. Beach House - "Zebra" 
Album: Teen Dream

This song knows me better than the rest. 



3. Justin Townes Earle - "Harlem River Blues

Album: Harlem River Blues

I feel like JTE put together a really complete album with Harlem River Blues and his voice sounds as sure and confident as ever.  "Working for the MTA" and "Move Over Mama" are a few of the other standout tracks, but when the the chorus comes in on "Harlem River Blues", it makes me a believer of anything Justin Townes wants to preach.



2. Broken Bells - "The High Road" 

Album: Broken Bells

I don't really believe that pop is a genre of music, more a definition of its relative recognition within the culture at large, but this is the best pop song I've heard this year.  There is no way to improve upon this song other than to hit repeat and listen to it again.  


1. The Tallest Man on Earth - "Little River"
Album: Sometimes the Blues is Just a Passing Bird

I would love this record even if there was no music on it and it came only with the album title.  Every time I say "Sometimes the Blues is Just a Passing Bird" I feel like I understand all things in this world and can make sense of being alive.   The fact that the music is so good on this is simply a bonus.  

No comments:

Post a Comment