Sunday, September 26, 2010

Everywhere is the Best Seat

What follows is an attempt to write about some of the things that inform and inspire my life, namely: music, art, and beer.  The title for this blog comes from a quote from avant-garde composer John Cage - "Everything you do is music, and everywhere is the best seat".  Cage's all encompassing acceptance of every sound as music perfectly captures my own love for the constant noise enveloping each of our lives.  The clock ticks, a car radio filters in through an open window, your ringtone sings out, and without encouragement, songs enter and exit.  The music breathes in and out around us.  There is no such thing as silence.   

If nothing else, I hope this conversation with myself allows me to research, understand and appreciate those sounds, musicians, artists, brewers, and thinkers that, for me, come through the rest of the static.  For those of us that live with heads stuffed with lyrics, melodies, and riffs, inhaling and exhaling the pulse of the life around us, the music truly never stops.  Listening is as easy as tuning in to the world around us to find our best seat.  The view from my seat is as follows: under a pair of headphones, behind a camera lens, and at the bottom of a pint glass.  Who wants to listen to silence anyways? 

No comments:

Post a Comment